Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Continuation of Aunt Nonie's Wedding...

This is the second installment of the chaperone's letter concerning Aunt Nonie's wedding. The first part of the letter is two posts down. Here the chaperone describes Nonie's new husband, her wedding, her new home and the dinner afterward.

At half past eleven Mr. Harper arrived.  Here I must digress and tell you something of Nonie's husband, from a strangers point of view.  If I had a daughter I should be happy to give her into Mr. Harper's keeping.  He is of course a self educated and self made man.  He has seen little of the world from the social side, but he is a perfect gentleman in every sense and has the best of all good breeding, an exquisitely refined nature.  Mother nature makes these gentlemen and often excells the efforts of college and society. The extent of his means I do not know, but he is well to do, and I never saw a man more thoroughly worship a woman than he does Nonie.  She may do with him as she will - have all that he has and to his eyes, all that she does is right.  My sons and I left for the Church.  Here I found about fifity people in spite of the weather and no invitations.  The full Chapter of Daughters were there to see their sister married.  Just as the Court House clock was striking twelve, we heard the carriage dash up to the door and Nonnie and Mr. Harper walked up the isle to the Chancel.  Rev. Mr. Love was waiting for them and they were married with the complete good old Episcopal service.  As it was all so free from ceremony and only good friends present, they all came right forward and crowded around them to wish them well, as there was to be no other opportunity given then.  As soon as they could free themselves, they with Mr. Love, Dr. & Mrs. Carmichael, Mr. and Mrs. Ford, myself and two sons, passed into the vestry to sign the register and certificate.  It was from here that I sent you the telegram.  This immediate party then drove right out to Nonnie's new home to eat a wedding dinner with them.  My house is so small that I could not offer it for any entertainment so we all decided that the new home was the place.  This home it is impossible for me to describe.  The house is very unusual because of so much beautiful hardwood finish inside, but I am sure Bertha Peaper has told you all about that.  When the furnishing first began, Nonie and Mr. Harper asked me if I would not give up my time to them and assist them.  I have been a house keeper for twenty four years, most of that time in one of the best residence portionsof Chicago, so they felt that I would be of service besides acting as chapperone.  I can only tell you that in going through A. P. Custin's furniture Mr. Harper chose the best and highest priced article to be had in each line, from the parlor to the kitchen.  I do not know exactly but his bills must come close to three thousand dollars.  While Mr. Harper never bought a carpet or a chair before, his ideas are so refined that his taste is perfect.  Everything is most solid, substancial but plain - no imitation woods, and the colors to be in keeping with all of that rich cherry and oak run rather to the orientals, while all designs were dignified instead of light and frivolous. The lace curtains and portiers are all the very best to be had in the city.  They had given the management of the dinner entirely to me, and I had an excellent cook and waitress in the kitchen and at two oclock we sat down, nine at table, to as complete and perfect a dinner as you could wish.  Here we met with a slight dissapointment.  We had intended to have a young friend come in with his camera and photograph the dining table and wedding party to send to you, but the day was so dark and rainy he could not come.  The table was beautiful with the linen which you had sent, and the knives and silver from her home people, then the gentlemen of the Assay Office borrowed one of the Saint Louis spoons and matched the pattern, buying one dozen largest sized dinner forks, one dozen medium sized spoons or desert spoons and a carving set of silver mounted horn handles.  It must have taken a hundred dollars to do it.  Then the "Daughters" gave her a gem of a cut crystal bowl.  Mrs. Wickes sent six gold bowl small handle after dinner coffee spoons.  Mr. Kelly an old friend of Mr. H. sent a pair of most exquisitly cut caraffs, Mrs. Switzer an imported Teapot, cream and sugar.  Mr. and Mrs. Ford, the latter is my niece, a chaffing dish.  Mr. and Mrs. Schmitt a beautiful Rookwood vase, Mr. Custin sent a mahogny pedistal which Nonie had admired very much.

to be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment