Saturday, September 5, 2009

Aunt Nonie's chaperone writes her mother about her wedding...

This very long letter is addressed to Emma's mother, Magdalena Igel, from the chaperone of her sister, Lenora (Nonie). it is dated July 1, 1898 from Helena, Montana. This letter describes in very great detail the wedding of Nonie to Mr. Harper and the subsequent wedding dinner and gifts. It included a pencil sketch of the dress itself.

Dear Mrs. Igel,
I am going to write you a long letter, and although you do not know me I feel sure that both you and the girls will be glad to read it. We woke up yesterday morning to find that it was simply pouring. The first rain we have had here for weeks but Nonie was not in the least depressed. We talked of you all and wished you here but decided there was no use crying for what could not be, so I assumed the reins and began the driving. I was determined there should be no hurry and that Nonie should have nothing to worry about, and at ten o'clock sent her upstairs to dress. By half past ten I was entirely ready myself so that, I could give her any assistance possible. The consequence was that at quarter after eleven, she walked down to the parlor entirely ready and sat quietly down to put on her gloves, and then read until Mr. Harper arrived. I do not trust her to have told you much about her costume so I will give you the best idea I can of how she looked. Her dress goods of course you know. She had it made by the best dressmaker here, one who understood the figure as well as style and it was a great success.  The collar and reveres which outline the full vest was of a soft grayish apple green satin outlined with quilling of narrow black satin ribbon. There were bands of black lace insertion going around the body of the waist, pointing up in both front and back, passing under the reveres in the front. The whole finished with a crush girdle of the green satin. The satin for the collar and reveres was tucked in tiny welts and the skirt had three rows of the black satin ribbon quilling. The whole effect was very artistic and finished. I have made a little rough pencil sketch whose faults I am sure you will overlook if it but gives you some idea of how dear Nonie looked on her wedding day. Her hat was made by the best milliner in the State and was extremely becoming. The frame was of the softest black braid, the fine rich brim faced with pleated pale pink Chiffon. The crown was wound with thick ropes of the pink chiffon and falling over it from the centre to the rim was pretty cream lace which subdued the pink. The trimming was from the centre of the front. Four spangled black quills curving back, thru each way from the centre and flowing back from the centre and between the quills was a long black aigrette. (the tufted crest of an egret) The rim was prettily dented to one side of the back and underneath the dent a bunch of black satin chrysanthemums. Fresh white gloves compliment the costume and I must call to your memory the rich beautiful coloring of her face which made this color scheme possible. I realize, dear Mrs. Igel that I have spun this out to a terrible length but I know you are hungry for every crumb of news. At half past eleveen Mr. Harper arrived.
[remainder of letter coming next!!]

No comments:

Post a Comment