Thursday, August 27, 2009

Musings and Memories

It is appropriate to start this blog with a precious poem written in 1864 by Emma Schussler Igel, our grandmother's grandmother. It may have been a poem she knew and recalled or one she wrote herself.  It is written in pen on folded tablet paper.  The handwriting is beautiful and the lines are spaced into sets of eight with a sweet and simple line design between the sets.  She signs it with only the date and her initials.
Emma had moved away from all her family in Madison, Indiana to Cape Girardeau, Missouri. She followed her husband there as he relocated to become an apothocary; otherwise known as a pharmacist. Emma must have missed her home and family and was struggling to be cheerful in this new and strange place.



Musings and Memories

"I am lonely, I am weary.
Would you know the reason why?
'Tis not that the day is dreary,
Not that clouds o'er hang the sky.
No. The April sun is beaming
Warm and genial as 'twer May.
Earth and air in beauty teeming
Woo my spirit from the gay.

This new home is very cheerful.
Husband, children - all are here;
But my eyes are sometimes tearful,
Tearful for old memories dear.
By my window I am sitting,
Gazing out upon the street,
Thousands to and fro are flitting
No famliar (face) glance I meet.

Ah! I miss the bird and flowers
Of the home I've left behind -
Miss the hill-tops and the bowers,
Miss the odorous-wafting wind.
This is not the same old carpet,
Upon which we danced at night -
These are not the time worn curtains
Which shut out the summer light -

But I will not sigh in sadness,
Will not let my heart grow cold,
Soon t'will throb again with gladness
Soon these new things will be old.
Kind and genial hearts are hovering
O'er life's pathway everywhere;
They will come and render sacred
Carpet, curtian, table, chair.

Flowers of love will spring in beauty -
To my fancy on the street -
If the dusty paths are trodden
Daily by familiar feet.
If I scatter seeds of kindness,
Here and there as best I may
Roses, fragrant as the old ones,
Soon will cheer the lonely way.

Home so loved - old friends so treasured -
Half my heart I'll give to (the) you
Half I'll keep in good condition,
Warm and lighted for the new
I may drop a tear of sorrow
for the past - tho' far away.
While I'm pilfering from tomorrow
Smiles and sunshine for to-day."

May 1864 E. S. I.

No comments:

Post a Comment