Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Love Letter from Richard to Emma

This letter is on folded tablet paper.  It is from Richard Igel to his future wife, Emma.  He is assuring Emma of his situation (employment) and his love despite his absense.  His spelling and grammar are rushed as he awaits a train, but his feelings are very clear. We transcribed it as it was written, so please excuse the run-on sentences and lack of punctuation!


Louisville, July 31, 1860
My dear Emma,

Again I have spend (sic) four lonesome days here after the pleasant hours in Madison until at last to day my bussiness (sic) has come to a termination, the situation, I spoke of in Greenville, Miss, has been procured for me by Messrs Wilson Peters & Co and I shall this evening leave for Memphis. After having seen Madison again and after passing such happy hours with you my dear Emma, Louisville with all its stirring & bustling seems desolate and dead to me, a change of things therefore will be very desireable. If I reflect that this evening and many successive days every turn of the wheel will take me further from the one I love so much it almost gives me bad cheer to my voyage but perhaps someday I shall have the reversed feeling which will amply repay me for the present bad one. Find accompanying this letter my likeness, if you look at it with the same feeling I look at yours I shall at least have the satisfaction that there is one on this wide earth that loves me. Give my best respects to all your relations to Louisa, Leonora, and your Papa and mamma in particular there is nothing new i can write you but there is something old which is always new to me, that I am ever your loving and faithful
Richard


Excuse my bad writing I am in a great hurry for my departure is unexpected soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment